Контрольная работа №`1
Прежде чем приступить к выполнению работы, необходимо изучить следующие темы: сослагательное наклонение (в том числе условные предложения), неличные формы глагола (причастие, инфинитив, герундий, конструкции с неличными формами)
Task 1. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct forms of the Subjunctive Mood. Translate into Russian
1. If anyone (to ask) me what his specific gift was, I (not to know) how to answer. 2. He (to find) a good job if he (to try) hard enough. 3. You (to be attacked) by the dog if you (to move). 4. I (to go) away unless you want me to stay. 5. Someone may get into the house if he (to forget) to lock the door. 6. I (not to mind) if he (to say) my pictures were bad, but he said nothing. 7. After all, if he (to have) any talent I (to be) the first to encourage him. 8. If you (to let) me have his way before there (to be) no cause for our trouble tonight. 9. If I (to be) 27 again I suppose I (to be) as big a fool as I was then. 10. But he wished that there (to be) some way in which he could help the young lawyer. 11. “I wish I (not to cry) so much”, said Alice trying to find her way out. 12. And there I wish I (can) tell you half of the things Alice used to say. 13. I wish I (to know) what to do now. 14. I wish I (to know) it was your birthday. I would have covered the whole street in front of your house with flowers. 15. Suddenly the voice was clear and strong as if Constance (to be) in another room of the hotel. 16. Fred wasn’t shy, and he talked to Gracie’s parents as though he (to know) them all his life. 17. He felt as if he (to catch) a cold. 18. He looked as if he (to step) from the pages of “Pickwick Papers”. 19. Sharon was frowning as if she (to be puzzled). 20. He looked as if he (not to sleep) much. 21. I didn’t know about the fact otherwise I (to give) you the extra day. 22. How wonderful it (to be) to take the sadness out of those big and lovely eyes!
Task 2. State the functions of the infinitive. Translate into Russian
1. It is not necessary to go into details. 2. I rose to receive my guests. 3. He seems to be satisfied to be doing nothing. 4. I felt an impulse to laugh. 5. Her first action was to visit her granny. 6. He was too astonished to speak. 7. The best thing he could do was to get out of here. 8. Soon the boy began to take an interest in his work. 9. He waited for her to speak. 10. He recognized me and made as if to get up.
Task 3. Use the appropriate forms of the infinitive
1. He must (to read) something funny; he is smiling. 2. They seemed (to learn) the news: they were excited. 3. This book is said (to sell) out already. 4. I am glad (to introduce) to you. 5. The box was (to handle) with care. 6. Her mood seems (to change) for the worse. 7. I am sorry (to disappoint) you. I did not mean that. 8. He is happy (to award) the first prize. 9. He was anxious (to take) the first place in the competition. 10. The poem can easily (to memorize).
Task 4. Translate into English. Mind Complex Object and Complex Subject
1. Я хочу, чтобы вы подождали меня. 2. Она не ожидала, что он забудет о её дне рождения. 3. Я видел, что взошло солнце. 4. Тебе решать эту проблему. 5. Кажется, он хороший специалист. 6. Мягко говоря, я чувствую, что меня обманывают. 7. Он заставил их встать рано утром. 8. Похоже на то, что ситуация изменится к лучшему. 9. Он ждал, когда ему дадут нужный номер. 10. Наверняка они сдадут экзамены успешно.
Task 5. Use the required forms of the gerund and insert prepositions where necessary
1. The boy is so naughty. He deserves …. (punish). 2. He looked forward … (take) to the theatre. 3. Who is responsible …. (break) the vase? 4. The students were absorbed …..(do) the test. 5. They are proud … (elect) to the council. 6. They suspect the man … (involve) into that dirty business by his friends. 7. He is capable … (guess) other people’s thoughts. 8. He is sure … (award) the first prize. 9. He heard … his friend’s (arrive) the day before. 10. She remembered … (read) this book at school.
Task 6. Define the functions of the gerund and gerundial constructions. Translate into Russian
1. It was so good surfing among the waves. 2. She felt no need of her being there. 3. After their visiting us we changed our opinion of them. 4. The child burst out crying. 5. We could not avoid being met by them. 6. Forgive me for not having helped you. 7. What are the grounds of your having been treated so badly? 8. Fancy her working on Sunday! 9. Do you really need a walking stick? 10. He prevented her from making a mistake.
Task 7. Put in the infinitive or the gerund
1. Did you remember (help) her with the luggage? 2. Don’t deny (take) his help. 3. They suggested (spend) the day by the river. 4. She is very ill. This means (go) to hospital. 5. The trees began (lose) their yellow leaves. 6. After that the plumber went on (check) the taps. 7. I regretted not (water) the flowers.8.He refused (answer) my question. 9. He is used to (drink) mineral water before dinner. 10. If you want to be healthy try (eat) more fruit and vegetables.
Task 8. Use the correct forms of Participle I or II. State their functions. Translate into Russian
1. (reject) by his girl-friend Mike was in distress. 2. (wait) for 5 minutes he was asked into the hall. 3. (stay) in the hall he thought about her. 4. They went to the city centre (leave) their luggage at the hotel. 5. (wound) in the leg, he limped a little. 6. (write) in an ancient language, the book was difficult to read. 7. If properly (hand) a car serves long. 8. I would like it (make) clear to me. 9. The room had a smell as if (not live) in for a time. 10. (support) by him, Mary listened to their talk.
Task 9. Translate into English using Participle I or II where possible
1. Люди, стоящие на площади, ожидают фейерверка. 2. Люди, стоявшие на площади, пошли к реке. 3. Приехав в Москву, он сразу же отправился по делам. 4. Приехав на Север несколько лет назад, он быстро привык климату. 5. Они сейчас на концерте, который проходит в актовом зале. 6. Когда цветы поставили в воду, они раскрыли свои бутоны. 7. Когда правило объяснили ещё раз, всё стало понятным. 8. Они нашли лодку привязанной к дереву. 9. Поработав весь день на даче, я чувствовал усталость.10. Они обсудили методы, применённые в эксперименте.
Task 10. Translate, using Nominative Absolute Constructions
1. (Так как не было возражений), the plan was adopted. 2. (Поскольку дело обстоит так) we have nothing to do. 3. Long she sat (сжав руки и опустив голову). 4. Silence followed (никто не произнёс ни слова). 5. (Погода была пасмурная) the flowers closed their petals. 6. He left the room (окно осталось открытым). 7. (Так как не было луны) it was dark in the forest. 8. (Поскольку 2 книги потеряны) I am not going to give you the rest. 9. He rushed into the room (шапка в руке, пальто нараспашку). 10. (Когда гости разъехались) the house became solitary again.
Task 11. Underline the complexes with the verbals. Name them, define their functions, translate into Russian
1. I did not know what I was expected to say to that, so I said nothing. 2. Would you like me to read or to retell the story? 3. He proved himself to be pathetically ignorant of the fact. 4. Money just doesn’t happen to interest me. 5. He was seen to cross the street and turn round the corner. 6. She spread jam for him and cut up the bread and butter into inconvenient slices for the child to eat. 7. I can’t bear the thought of your deserting your post when your presence is so necessary. 8. I am not accustomed to having my word doubted. 9. She liked to watch him doing things, digging, planting, trimming. 10. They were on the porch and Rhett was bowing right and left, his hat in his hand, his voice cool and soft.