Future Indefinite Future Continuous
Will/shall +V Will/shall be + VingPredictions about the future (usually with the words think, believe, expect, be sure, be afraid, probably, perhaps, certainly)
I’m afraid we won’t be in time for the meeting An action which will be in progress at a stated time in the future
This time next week we will be swimming in the Atlantics.
On the spot decisions
I’ll have chocolate ice cream and a cup of black coffee. When asking somebody politely about their plans for the near future (when we want to if our whishes fit in their plans)
Will you be using this computer for long? I need to check my mail.
promises (usually with the verbs swear, promise, guarantee, etc.), threats, warnings, requests, hopes and offers
I will never do this again! Tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, soon, tonight,
Next week /month/year
In a week/ in a month / in a year NB! To be going to is used in the following cases:
for our plans, intentions or ambitions in future
I am going to become a famous rock star.
for actions we have already decided to do in the future
They are going to get married in the nearest future.
in predictions when there is evidence that something will happen in the near future
Look at these clouds. It is going to rain!
Ex. 1 Will or be going to?
1. A: Why are you holding a piece of paper? B: I (write) a letter to my friends back home in Texas. 2. A: I'm about to fall asleep. I need to wake up! B: I (get) you a cup of coffee. That will wake you up. 3. A: I can't hear the television! B: I (turn) it up so you can hear it. 4. We are so excited about our trip next month to France. We (visit) Paris, Nice and Grenoble.5. Sarah (come) to the party. Oliver (be) there as well. 6. Ted: It is so hot in here! Sarah: I (turn) the air-conditioning on. 7. I think he (be) the next President of the United States. 8. After I graduate, I (attend) medical school and become a doctor. I have wanted to be a doctor all my life. 9. A: Excuse me, I need to talk to someone about our hotel room. I am afraid it is simply too small for four people. B: That man at the service counter (help) you. 10. As soon as the weather clears up, we (walk) down to the beach and go swimming.
Ex. 2 Future Indefinite or Future Continuous
1. Sandra: Where is Tim going to meet us? Marcus: He (wait) for us when our train arrives. I am sure he (stand) on the platform when we pull into the station. Sandra: And then what? Marcus: We (pick) Michel up at work and go out to dinner.
2. Ted: When we get to the party, Jerry (watch) TV, Sam (make) drinks, Beth (dance) by herself, and Thad (complain) about his day at work. Robin: Maybe, this time they won't be doing the same things. Ted: I am absolutely positive they (do) the same things; they always do the same things. 3. Florence: Oh, look at that mountain of dirty dishes! Who (wash) all of those? Jack: I promise I (do) them when I get home from work. Florence: Thanks. Jack: When you get home this evening, that mountain will be gone and nice stacks of sparkling clean dishes (sit) in the cabinets. 4. Doug: If you need to contact me next week, I (stay) at the Hoffman Hotel. Nancy: I (call) you if there are any problems. Doug: This is the first time I have ever been away from the kids. Nancy: Don't worry, they (be) be fine. 5. Samantha: Just think, next week at this time, I (lie) on a tropical beach in Maui drinking Mai Tais and eating pineapple. Darren: While you are luxuriating on the beach, I (stress) out over this marketing project. How are you going to enjoy yourself knowing that I am working so hard? Samantha: I 'll manage somehow. Darren: You're terrible. Can't you take me with you? Samantha: No. But I (send) you a postcard of a beautiful, white sand beach. Darren: Great, that (make) me feel much better.
Ex. 3 Use the correct form of the verb.
1.This time tomorrow they (sit) in the train on their way to Chicago.2. Don’t phone Jim from 5 to 6 – he (have) English. 3. Why are you in a hurry? If you arrive at 8 o’clock, they (still/cook) the meal. 4. - I’m not sure I’ll recognize Eve. I haven’t seen her for ages. - She (wear) a dark blue pullover and jeans. 5.He (sleep) when you come back tonight. 6. - Let’s meet at the station at 5 o’clock. - OK. I (wait) for you there. 7. I (work) for my exam on Philosophy all day tomorrow. 8. “ … you (see) Alex tomorrow?” – “Of course I will. I (see) him at the Board meeting.” 9. Next Friday, the President (celebrate) ten years in power. 10. The plane (travel) at twice the speed of sound when it passes overhead.11. “I wonder if that terrible wind (blow) tomorrow.” – “Oh, yes. The weather forecast says it (blow) for another two weeks. 12. I (say) more about that topic in my next lecture. 13. After the operation you (not/do) any sport for a while. 14. She (perform) every day until the end of the month. 15. We (go) to my brother’s house again for Christmas. 16. I (see) Tom on Tuesday. That’s when we usually meet. 17. We (join) you in half an hour. 18. … you (use) the computer for long? I need it. 19. - Is it alright if I come at about 8.30? - No, I (watch) the football then. 20. What time your friends (arrive) tomorrow?
Ex. 4. Complete the sentences with the verbs below. Use will or to be going to.
not buy / take / be / raise / win / not travel / see / like / spend / be / go / work / earn / get / save / love / buy / not be
1. I'm sure your dad ______________his Christmas present. 2. I think I ______________in Cartagena when I finish school. 3. Peter ______________a new apartment with the money he won. 4. Rose ______________with her parents because she has to study. 5. We ______________a film at the new cinema tonight. 6. I think the new TV programme ______________really successful. 7. I think I ______________rich in the future. 8. We have decided that we ______________next Christmas with my grandparents. 9. I don't think your parents ______________your new boyfriend. 10. The Maths teacher ______________to school tomorrow because he is ill. 11. "My plane leaves at 7 but I don't know how to get to the airport". "Don't worry, I ______________you there" 12. We don't want to spend more money on clothes. We ______________it for the summer holidays. 13. My friends and I ______________tonight for the English exam. 14. Do you think they ______________enough money for charity?
Ex. 5 Use Present Continuous, Present Simple or Future Simple Tense.1. I (to play) chess tomorrow. 2. I (not to play) chess tomorrow. 3. You (to play) chess tomorrow? 4. He (to play) chess every day. 5. He (not to play) chess every day. 6. He (to play) chess every day? 7. They (to play) chess now. 8. They (not to play) chess now. 9. They (to play) chess now? 10. Nick (to go) to the park now. 11. Nick (to go) to school every day. 12. Nick (to go) to school tomorrow. 13. You (to come) to my place next Sunday? 14. You (to read) this book next week? 15. You (to read) books every day? 16. You (to read) a book now? 17. I (not to see) him tomorrow. 18. What you (to do) tomorrow? 19. What your friend (to do) tomorrow? 20. Where you (to go) next summer? 21. Where you (to go) every morning? 22. Where you (to go) now? 23. Look! Mary (to dance). 24. She (to dance) every day. 25. She (to dance) tomorrow?
Ex. 6 Use Present Continuous, Present Simple or Future Simple Tense.I. He (to go) to the theatre tomorrow. 2. We (to go) to school in the morning. 3. Look! Kate (to go) to school. 4. You (to help) your mother tomorrow? 5. I (not to play) the guitar now. 6. My brother (to play) the guitar every evening. 7. They (not to take) care of the garden next summer. 8. You (to like) apples? 9. You (to eat) apples tomorrow? 10. Nick (to read) many books. 11. Mother (to work) every day. 12. He (not to sleep) now. 13. Your brother (to go) to the exhibition next Sunday? 14. We (not to go) to the zoo tomorrow. 15. I (not to learn) the poem now. 16. She (to live) in San Francisco. 17. My father (to shoot) very well. 18. He is very strong. Look! He (to carry) a very heavy box. 19. My sister (not to like) coffee. 20 When you (to go) to bed every day? 21. What he (to read) now? 22. What he (to read) every day? 23. What he (to read) tomorrow? 24. Where she (to go) tomorrow? 25. You (to give) me this book tomorrow?
Ex. 7 Use Present Continuous, Present Simple or Future Simple Tense.1. When you (to get) up every day? - I (to get) up at seven o'clock. 2. My brother usually (not to get) up at seven o'clock. As a rule, he (to get) up at six o'clock, but tomorrow he (to get) up at seven o'clock. 3. Why she (to come) home so late tomorrow? 4. We (to go) to the country the day after tomorrow. 5. Our friends always (to go) to the country for the week-end. 6. Look! The kitten (to play) with its tail. 7. Your parents (to watch) TV now? 8. My sister (not to rest) now. She (to help) mother in the kitchen. She (to help) mother in the kitchen every day. 9. Where she (to go) tomorrow? 10. She (to go) to the country with us tomorrow? 11. They (to stay) at home tomorrow. 12 What you (to do) now? I (to see) that you (not to read). 13. When you (to finish) your homework? It (to be) very late, it (to be) time to go to bed. 14. How you usually (to spend) evenings? 15. What you (to do) in the country next summer? 16. They (not to drink) tea now. I (to think) they (to watch) TV. 17. What your father (to drink) in the evening?
Ex. 8 Present Continuous or be going to?
1. I (play) bridge tonight with Tom and Ann. 2. He (have) an operation next week. 3. It's very cold. I (light) a fire. 4. We (have) some friends to lunch tomorrow. 5. My nephew (come) to stay with me next week. 6. We (take) the children to the seaside this summer. 7. I (read) you some of my own poems. 8. Have you got a ticket for the big match on Saturday? No, I don't even know who (play). 9. The inspector (ask) you a few questions. 10. Mr. Pitt has just phoned to say that he (not come) back till Wednesday night.